Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Why is it so much fun?

What motivates us to do what we do? Is it the thrill, pleasure, inspiration, money, power, notoriety, safety, security? This list goes on and on. But it is safe to say that passion rises very high on the motivation scale.

Ultimately survival is the number one motivator for people to generate an income or some form of support (at least most people). It is passion that helps us not only choose our direction in life but gives us the ability to stick it out when things are down or the career is struggling.

I have been blessed with two passions. Aviation has been my life but I h career ave not let it define me, I am a husband and father first. That is not to say these do not clash at times. A that has not been an easy road even though my current positoin is one of envy in the current climate of aviation careers. A second passion I have been blessed with is that of photography. While I have been interested in photography most of my life,  the passion was not realized until later in my life.


So to answer the title question; It just is! Here is a brief rundown that I term the 5P's that may describe the why to the quest of "Why is it so much fun?

Planning
This is the part that the choleric in me enjoys. Scouting for a location, talking to people about what they want or expect, and setting things up for the actual shoot.

Performance
An extension of planning the performance is the fun part. It fulfills the sanguine nature in me. Working collaboratively with a subject in free flowing environment is a blast. Sometimes it is the spur of the moment thought or suggestion that results in the best shot of the day.

Processing
Working with the images after the shoot. Sorting, selecting, and correcting are the main workflow here. Taking an image and working with it to not only make it look as good as you saw the subject when you took the shot is very much part of the artistic drive.

Producing
It might be ordering prints, creating prints in house, or setting up a slideshow of images. Each aspect of producing the product has its challenges and rewards.

Presenting
Probably the most rewarding moment for me in photography is when a client first looks at the prints you present them and they just stare at each print. Not the flip through the print here but a long look at all of the image. You can see the satisfaction in their eyes. It is wonderful.


I have three screen grabs of my Smugmug site. The first was of an engagement ring shoot at our house working with my wife and the couple getting married. Different lighting and lens combinations and a really good desert and fun conversation. Nothing beats it.

The group of images above are from a shoot I did of a buddy of mine at work that again was free flowing. It was at their home and we had a really good time together shooting and talking, being creative together.


Here area group of engagement images that we did. Again it was a fun collaborative effort. I was on my own and the sun was a little harsh so we went to the woods. Got to be flexible. You can see some of the goofiness that goes on that just makes shooting fun. I really like to do test shots coming as close to the final settings as I can. Often the "test" shot produces the more relaxed subject and that is always good. 

Reflection

I have found that putting a camera to my face does something psychologically to me in the same way the stage does to an actor or the rubber nose of a clown, and the make-up of a mime. When I put on my uniform to go fly, my wife says I have my pilot face on. I am sure this is the same thing with a surgeons scrubs, a policeman's uniform, or a lawyers suit... Ok maybe no the lawyer thing because they are always the same.

Well... There is a little deeper glimpse of me and my passions. Hopefully it was not too scary of a ride.

Cya... Doug


No comments: