Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Who… What… Where... [Part 2]

School to Professional

Who Was I

Growing up in the southern suburbs of Chicago, I was a result of the atypical dysfunctional 50/60’s family in the burbs. Granted we did not know it was dysfunctional until years later so it seemed normal to us. I was not actively engaged in sport but was involved with the local Civil Air Patrol Squadron. That involvement culminated in being selected Cadet of the Year in 1973 for the Illinois Wing.

Up to that point in my life I really took things as they came without real direction or purpose. It was not unto Good Friday in 1973 that I finally realized there is a higher power and a real purpose for my life other than a simple existence. My sister showed me a number of Bible verse the pierced my very being. I realized my life would be incomplete without a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

What Was I Doing

I grew up the son of an airline pilot. My fathers career was not to be my initial carer path. It seemed I had a talented in drafting, design and architecture. That was the direction I was heading until our family purchased an aircraft. The bug was contagious and my career path was fixed for good.

Where Was I Going

Attending the Aviation Technologies Program at Southern Illinois University I earned my Aircraft and Power-plant Mechanic certificate. Continuing with an SIU education I completed a four year Bachelors program. During those four years I earned additional certificates and ratings including Instrument, Multi-engine, Instructor, and Instrument Instructor Certificates/Ratings. The Instructor certificate was gained during my freshman year and allowed me to flight instruct for the University during the rest of my college years. This allowed me to gain flight time for my future aviation career.

Tomorrow we will explore the period from the early years of my professional life to present day.

Cya then… Doug

Here are the links to the series:
Part 1 Introduction
Part 3 Professional to Present
Part 4 Present to Future

No comments: